For Incident Reporting:
1. ANY incident that requires the intervention of medical personnel, involves emergency responders, or results in a response beyond Scout-rendered first aid must be reported
2. Go to the following website to read about recommended writing tips when completing the “Incident Information Report” http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/healthandsafety/gss/gss14.aspx
3. Go to the following website to read and understand the Incident Descriptions and Reporting Instructions: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/HealthSafety/pdf/680-033.pdf
4. Go to the following website and fill out the “Incident Information Report”…. http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/680-016_fillable.pdf. If the accident occurs during an overnight campout, then the adventure code to use is “Boy Scout Weekend Overnighter”.
5. Forward the completed form to the Council’s Risk Management Contact. Send the completed form to the Scout Executive (currently Jon Yates,email@example.com) and ask him to forward to the Risk Management Contact and have the incident entered into the RiskConsole incident reporting system. Go to the following website to determine the current Scout Executive: https://www.bsacac.org/about/staff_directory
6. If the injury requires medical attention that creates excessive cost to the parents (e.g. ER visit, doctor assistance, etc.) work with the parents in filling out the following Unit Accident and Health Claim Form: http://www.bsacac.org/my_files/Forms/2014_council_564_claimform.pdf The BSA Leader is responsible for filling out this claim form. To determine what is covered, the Unit Accident and Health Policy is provided here:http://www.bsacac.org/my_files/Forms/2014_council_564_descriptionofcoverage.pdf
For Near Misses: (No injuries or accidents but had the potential to seriously injure someone)
1. Go to the following website and complete the Near Miss Incident Information Report: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/680-017_fillable.pdf
2. Send the completed form to the Council Risk Management Contact. I would send to the Scout Executive and ask him to forward to the Council’s Enterprise Risk Management contact.