Blog from Scouting Magazine: http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2016/01/06/new-boy-scout-requirements-for-2016-now-in-effect/
New requirements insert: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/boyscouts/pdf/524-012_BS_Requirements_Insert.pdf
New requirements: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/boyscouts/pdf/524-012_BS_Requirements.pdf
The BSA has made changes to the Boy Scout rank requirements of which you need to be aware.
- One does not need to go out and buy a new Boy Scout Handbook. Below are links to pdf versions of the new requirements including an insert.
- Scout is now a rank rather than a "joining badge." As such, it has more substantial requirements than it did previously.
- More campouts: Second Class now requires 3 campouts rather than 2. First Class requires 6 campouts rather than 3.
- More service hours: Tenderfoot now requires 1 hour rather than 0. Second Class requires 2 additional hours rather than 1. First Class requires an additional 3 hours rather than 0. Life adds a conservation component, but no change in additional hours.
- More emphasis on physical fitness for the Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class ranks.
- More emphasis on cyber security: Scout rank requires earning the grade specific Cyber Chip Award. Star rank requires earning the grade specific Cyber Chip Award.
- Those who joined the troop prior to 1/1/16 and who are working on the Tenderfoot through First Class ranks MAY continue to follow the old requirements, but MUST convert to the current requirements upon attaining First Class.
- Those who joined the troop prior to 1/1/16 and who have completed the First Class rank MAY complete the rank they are currently working on in the old requirements, but MUST convert to the current requirements for subsequent ranks.